Thursday, August 27, 2009

Yearning for God




I yearn to be held in the great hands of your heart
Oh let them take me now. Into them I place these fragments: my life --and you, God, spend them however you want. --Rilke


Knowing something of the angst that the poet, Rilke, lived with I find myself wondering just what was going on in his dear heart when he wrote the words above. There are some who think he was an atheist (not that I would hold it against him if he was) but I don't think so. There is so much searching in his life--such an authentic yearning for the eternal. He was always reaching through the mists trying to draw apart the mystical curtains that would reveal the face of God. This morning as I sat by my window journaling, it came to me that I, too, am haunted by eternal questions. I, too, want to do something beautiful with the fragments of my life. I cannot think of a better place to put them than into the great hands of God's heart that they may be used wisely for the good of all. I comit myself to walking through this day aware that I am held in those hands...but it is not easy to live AWAKE. Today let me be awake to the needs of others for they, too, have fragments of their lives that they are trying to understand.

2 comments:

  1. The fragments are the most fragile pieces of all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Macrina, thank you for these moving thoughts so beautifully expressed, you speak for so many of us as a companion who understands.

    ReplyDelete